BKK Vejr 36C
Varm solrig og delvis overskyet
Euro: US 1.3158
Euro: Baht 40.28
USA: Baht 30.61
Yingluck – 40 businessmen fly to Myanmar for Dawei project talks. Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva urged voters to join the Democrat Party to say NO in a public referendum on charter amendment. Sudarat supporters bitter over pullout for Bangkok Governor. Former veteran politician Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan has confirmed she will not run for the Bangkok governor’s seat early next year but plans to return to politics later when she is ready.
New Japan PM Abe vows tough China line. Calls for US gun control – but not by Obama. Violence in Egypt over Islamist constitution.
– SO CHRISTMAS BKK: Sofitel So Bangkok, the city’s first truly urban design hotel that draws inspiration from the traditional five elements: earth, wood, water, metal, and fire, is in its own element when it comes to celebrating the festive season.
Offering a full program of dining and partying from Christmas Eve to New Year’s Day, with events designed to suite all styles of celebration, the hotel promises a So joyous time as it welcomes one and all to join in the festive spirit. It is also the occasion when Sofitel So Bangkok marks its first calendar year of operations, which has seen the hotel win many honors.
– PATA: The Pacific Asia Travel Association has stepped forward to voice its strong opposition to Britain’s air passenger duty, which has increased by 140 percent for economy class and 325 percent for business class since 2007. However, observers say there appears to be no-one listening.
– ASIAN SHARES 13-DAY WINNING STREAK: Asian stocks headed for the longest winning streak since 1988 as Japanese shares rose and the yen fell to its weakest level since April 2011 after elections returned the Liberal Democratic Party to power amid calls for more monetary easing.
– US SHOOTING CONNECTICUT: Education officials say they have found no link between the gunman’s mother and the school, contrary to earlier reports that said she was a teacher there. Investigators said they believe Adam Lanza, 20, attended Sandy Hook School many years ago.
– MALDIVES: The Malaysian government had sent its foreign minister to Maldives to save the Male airport contract held by a consortium in which Malaysia Airports Berhad was a partner. The project was terminated earlier this month by a new government.
– THAI MIGRANT WORKERS: The International Labor Organization has expressed ”concern” over Thailand’s decision to deport millions of illegal migrants and called for the government to develop a coherent labor migration policy.
– UK’S WONDERFUL YEAR OF SPORT: Cyclist Bradley Wiggins has capped his remarkable sporting year by winning the 2012 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award. As Wiggins received his latest trophy from the Duchess of Cambridge, he did so not only as the Tour de France champion and Olympic time trial gold medalist, but also as a symbol of Britain’s sporting annus mirabilis.